wechat sharing

News: Expats With No Job Experience Can Work in China Now

China relaxes its Z visa policy

Good news for graduates seeking a job here, China has just announced a new policy which makes it easier for expats to get a job permit in the country.


Previously, expats had to have at least two years work experience to qualify for a Z visa but starting this year, this rule will be visibly relaxed. Foreigners who have graduated with a master's degree from a Chinese university or a "well-known" international institution will be eligible to apply, provided you are applying within a year of your graduation.


The Ministry of Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security issued a joint statement on January 12, outlining a list of criterias expats wishing to apply for a work visa in China must meet:


-Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and in good health

-No prior criminal record

-Grades averaging above 80%, or a B+/B under the letter-grade system

-Degrees relevant to the job they are applying for

-Proof of a confirmed job offer relevant to your degree. Your salary must be equal to or higher than the local average

-Valid passport / identification document


The new policy borrows from a report published by Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (translated by WeChat account AnyHelper), which regretted that due to the previously tight visa rules “international students can not work or start certain business in China” and suggested that this “in some ways blocks the international talented people who owns potential of creativity and innovation.”


Based on this new rule, inexperienced graduates with excellent grade scores can apply for work permits directly in their home countries and after arriving to China, continue by applying for an employment license, which in due procedure is followed by a work visa.


Those applying for the work visa will need the following documents:


-Employment history

-Letter of offer, with your salary clearly stated

-Reason of employment report from your employer, including proof that the position has been advertised in China for at least 30 days

-Medical report

-Criminal report

-All relevant certificates and school transcripts

-Proof of good behavior from school / university (those graduating from an institution outside of China is exempted from this)

-Photos taken within the last six months


These employment licenses for foreign graduates are valid for one year upon first arrival. Subsequent licenses can be obtained while staying in China, and valid for up to five years at a time.


The original notice can be found on the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security website (in Chinese).


Main photo from HiTouch.

Follow us on WeChat:
read more city weekend shanghai

TAG News Visa


new regulations renew work visa china

By: Wansien Lee -

PSA: NEW Regulations on Foreigner Work Permits in China
A new regulation regarding foreigner work permits have just been announced by China's State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs on their official website. According to the post, foreigners...
Read More
vcg photo green card china

By: Flora Burles -

Reform of the Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Card
China is reforming “Green Cards” to improve efficiency of expat living.
Read More
city weekend shanghai airport immigration fast track

By: Wansien Lee -

News: Got a Z Visa? You Can Now Skip Chinese Airport Lines
China has officially extended their 自助查验系统 Automated Passenger Clearance System service to foreigners with a valid work visa!   Applying   Foreigners can apply for this service at...
Read More
pompidou centre paris

By: Wansien Lee -

News: Paris's Pompidou Centre is Opening a Shanghai Gallery
Paris's Pompidou Centre is getting a Shanghai location, set to open at the West Bund in 2019.
Read More


Download App Now
Select your device platform and get download started
Add & Promote an Event
Tell everybody what's going on. FREE.

You've reached the limit of allowed deals. For more information

Contact us

You've reached the limit of allowed housing listing. For more information

Contact us